The procedure is quite simple and you only need freezer and a hand mixer or whisk and good arm muscles. This means that you can start immediately without an ice cream machine and make your own ice cream. However, this variant is more time and labour intensive than with an ice cream machine.
Basic procedure for making ice cream in the freezer
The basic procedure is very simple. One puts the cooled ice mass into the Freezer compartment and mixes the freezing mass regularly with the hand mixer or whisk.
Why do you have to stir regularly?
The ice mass begins to freeze. However, this does not happen evenly, but the Water content freezes and forms ice crystalswhile the Sugar more viscous will. If Grease as for example with milk ice cream is contained, this small Beads. If the mass is not stirred the ice crystals become larger and larger and thus the ice coarser. The fat partly prevents the crystals from growing larger but not completely. This means that if one would simply put the ice cream mass into the freezer, one would have ice cream in any case, but it would not be creamy and there would be single small islands of crystals, fat and sugar.
In order to good texture to get the masses, the mass must therefore stirred regularly will be. This way the freezing ice mass intermixed and the Crystals in small pieces smashed. The structure is not as fine as in an ice cream machine, but it is still very good.
- The freezer compartment should have a temperature of about -18°C (= typical *** freezer compartment)
- Pour the ice cream mixture into a container that is large or high enough for the mixture to be worked well. There should be about 3 cm of air from the liquid level to the rim.
- After approx. 1 hour check whether crystals are already forming. If so, then stir the ice with a whisk or hand mixer until the crystals are broken and the mixture is homogeneous again.
- This procedure is repeated every half hour. Depending on the amount of ice, this can take about 2 hours (i.e. 4 passes).
- Then leave the mixture in the freezer until it is evenly firm but not hard (approx. 1-2 hours).
- Using a hand mixer or blender, briefly loosen the mixture again (1-2 minutes).
- If desired, mix in solid ingredients and freeze or eat in a container with a lid.
Tips for making ice cream in the freezer
- Some sweeter ice creams are less firm after the third pass than before. One should not be irritated by this.
- If the ice cream is stored in the freezer for a longer period of time, it should be defrosted in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes before consumption.
- You can also loosen up the ice cream (without solid ingredients) with a blender before consumption.
- When mixing with the blender, care must be taken not to mix at too high a speed or for too long. Otherwise the ice will melt again in some places. 1-2 minutes are usually enough.
In this way, all types of ice cream can be made that are also made with the ice cream machine. But there are also special varieties. The Granita for example, will definitely be in the freezer and must not be placed in the ice cream machine. This consists of rather large ice crystals and is reminiscent of crushed water ice. The production is traditionally in the freezer and the Mixing happens with a Forkso as not to smash the ice crystals too much. The Parfait whereas without stirring frozen in the freezer.
In case you're thinking... ice cream machine, then it is worthwhile compared to ice cream from the ice cream parlour rather fast. After my Invoice usually already in the 1st year the acquisition! The freezer compartment is of course the cheapest option in any case. But the ice cream gets creamier with an ice cream machine and is ready in only half an hour.