The ice cream base gives our ice cream a beautiful, creamy texture and makes it possible to To refrain from adding raw egg yolk. Otherwise, when eggs are used, a pasteurization step is necessary to minimize the risk of salmonella poisoning. There are many good reasons to make ice cream yourself and get a To buy ice cream machine. With the ice cream base you have an easy way to make milk ice cream itself.
Even if some of the ingredients listed sound unusual at first, all components except the skim milk powder are to various sugars and vegetable substances. An explanation is further below. Should you want to read even more information about ice cream making, I have the Basics in an introduction put together.
I have linked you below which products you can buy. If you want to buy a larger stock and want to know more about the individual ingredients, check out my article "Ingredients for ice cream" over.
Ingredients for the ice cream base
- 45g Inulin*
- 45g Skimmed milk powder*
- 170g Dextrose* (= dextrose powder)
- 1g Locust bean gum*
- 2g Guar gum*
Even though it's not a great art, here's a little tutorial on how to make the ice cream base:
- Weigh out all ingredients. In particular, the small amounts of locust bean gum and guar gum should be weighed out as accurately as possible. For this purpose a Fine balance* advantageous.
- Place in an airtight container and shake vigorously to mix well.
50 g of ice cream base are needed for 500 g of ice cream.
What are these substances in the ice cream base and what are they doing in my ice cream?
Inulin is a mixture of different sugar building blocks and is often used as a prebiotic additive. This means that it is indigestible but has a positive effect on the intestinal flora. It is found in various plants, e.g. in chicory or Jerusalem artichoke. Inulin does not affect the sugar level, so it is also suitable for diabetics.
Inulin allows us to save a certain amount of fat and sugar.
Skimmed milk powder
Skim milk powder is dehydrated milk. This makes it very easy to increase the dry matter in the ice cream. This changes the texture and makes the ice cream creamier.
Dextrose, or glucose, is a naturally occurring carbohydrate. It leads to an improvement of the ice cream structure and at the same time has a lower sweetening power than normal household sugar.
Locust bean gum
This is made from the ground seeds of the carob tree. It is a natural stabilizer and emulsifier. Locust bean gum prevents the formation of large ice crystals. There is an E number for it (E410). However, one should not be unsettled by this, because it is approved without restriction for organic products.
It acts quite similarly to johaniss bread flour and is a natural thickener and emulsifier. Guar gum is obtained from the seeds of the guar bean. It also has an E number (E412) and is approved for organic products.
Tips for the ice base
- Before each use, the powder must be shaken well to obtain a uniform result.
- Dextrose can be bought in every major supermarket and is usually on the shelf next to sugar. However, it is often mixed with vitamins.
- Inulin, skimmed milk powder, locust bean gum and guar gum are now available in well-stocked health food stores or organic supermarkets. Alternatively, the individual components can also be ordered from Amazon or online stores for baking ingredients.