Quark ice cream sounds in the first moment like a copy of the all-known Frozen yoghurt ice cream. But it's something quite different and you have to try by all means.
Because curd cheese is clearly different in production from yogurt. It actually belongs to the cheese and to be exact to the Cream cheese.
Curd cheese contains significantly more protein than the yogurt and has a much firmer consistency. Don't worry, you won't notice it in the ice cream. It rather leads to a pleasant velvety feeling in your mouth.
Ingredients for the curd ice cream
For 4 servings
- 200 g quark
- 200 g cream
- 40 g sugar syrup (20 g sugar and 20 g water boiled up)
- 30 g Elderflower syrup* (s. Tips, alternatively other syrup)
- 20 g vanilla sugar (best homemade, s. Tips)
- 2 TSP Lime juice* or freshly squeezed
- optional: a little lime zest
- 1 pinch of salt
Preparation of the ice cream mass
- In case you haven't seen Sugar syrup have on hand, then simply boil sugar and water in a pot until everything is dissolved and let cool. Alternatively, you can also use bar syrup, for example, with different flavors.
- Mix curd, cream, sugar syrup, elderflower syrup, vanilla sugar, lime juice, lime zest and salt well with a whisk.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes, depending on the model. Switch on the mixer and pour in the ice cream mixture (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternative Ice in the freezer produce and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
The ice cream becomes very hard after a day in the freezer. So if you don't eat it right away, let it thaw in the fridge for about 40 minutes before eating.
Tips for curd ice cream
- Elderflower syrup you can also Prepare yourselfwhen it is the time of the elderberry blossom (May or June). You can find several recipes on the internet like this one from Utopia. However, it is not for the impatient. You have to wait a few days until the syrup is ready. Alternatively there are Elderflower syrup* of course also available for purchase.
- Vanilla sugar you can easily do yourself. For this purpose a scraped vanilla pod* put in an airtight container with 200 g of sugar. Homemade vanilla sugar is much better than store-bought. Learn more in my Article on the "Difference between vanilla and vanillin".
- There are endless variations by using a different type of syrup for flavoring. Orange syrup* fits very well, for example. You can also just take more of the neutral sugar syrup and just make pure curd ice cream.
- You can use all kinds of fresh fruits as toppings. Nut brittle, chocolate sauce, Strawberry sauce, Caramel sauce and Peanut caramel sauce also fit very well with it.
- I have my curd ice cream on Rhubarb compote served. To do this, peel the rhubarb and cut into pieces. In a saucepan with a little water and vanilla sugar (to taste) cook over medium heat until the rhubarb is soft.