At first glance, quark ice cream sounds like a copy of the well-known Frozen yoghurt ice cream. But it's something completely different and you have to try by all means.
Because curd cheese is clearly different in production from yogurt. It actually belongs to the cheese and to be exact to the Cream cheese.
Curd cheese contains significantly more protein than the yogurt and has a much firmer consistency. Don't worry, you won't notice this in the ice cream. It rather leads to a pleasantly velvety feeling in your mouth.
Ingredients for the quark ice cream
For 4 portions
- 200 g quark
- 200 g cream
- 40 g sugar syrup (20 g sugar and 20 g water boiled up)
- 30 g Elderflower syrup* (s. Tips, alternatively other syrup)
- 20 g vanilla sugar (best homemade, s. Tips)
- 2 TSP Lime juice* or freshly squeezed
- optional: a little lime zest
- 1 pinch of salt
Preparation of the ice cream mass
- In case you haven't seen Sugar syrup have on hand, then simply boil sugar and water in a pot until everything is dissolved and let cool. Alternatively, you can also use bar syrup, for example, with different flavors.
- Mix curd, cream, sugar syrup, elderflower syrup, vanilla sugar, lime juice, lime grated and salt well with a whisk.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternative Ice in the freezer produce and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
The ice cream becomes very hard after a day in the freezer. So if you don't eat it immediately, let it thaw for about 40 minutes in the fridge before eating it.
Tips for quark ice cream
- Elderflower syrup you can also Prepare yourselfwhen it is the time of the elderberry blossom (May or June). You can find several recipes on the internet like this one from Utopia. However, it is not for the impatient. You have to wait a few days until the syrup is ready. Alternatively there are Elderflower syrup* of course also available for purchase.
- Vanilla sugar you can easily make yourself. For this purpose a scraped vanilla pod* put in an airtight container with 200 g of sugar. Homemade vanilla sugar is much better than store-bought. Learn more in my Contribution to the "Difference between vanilla and vanillin.
- There are endless variations by using a different type of syrup for flavoring. Orange syrup* fits very well, for example. You can also just take more of the neutral sugar syrup and just make pure curd ice cream.
- You can use all kinds of fresh fruits as toppings. Nut brittle, chocolate sauce, Strawberry sauce, Caramel sauce and Peanut caramel sauce also fit very well with it.
- I have my curd ice cream on Rhubarb compote served. To do this, peel the rhubarb and cut into pieces. In a saucepan with a little water and vanilla sugar (to taste) cook over medium heat until the rhubarb is soft.
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to cover the basic costs without any disadvantage for you. Thank you very much for that!