The special thing about the Malaga Ice are the ice creams Alcohol pickled raisins. In the original recipe they are used in Malaga wine ...in the box. This is a sweet dessert wine from Andalusia. Alternatively, you can put the raisins in a good Rum ...and let it go. This is also the most widespread variant for ice cream parlours.
A alcohol-free version you can find further down at Tips.
Ingredients Malaga Ice Cream
- 400 g milk
- 75 g brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1,5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 180 g mascarpone
- 50 g dark rum
- 70 g raisins
Preparation Malaga ice cream
- Soak the raisins in the rum for at least 1 hour.
- Heat milk in a pot.
- Whisk the egg yolk and sugar well in another pot until the mixture turns a whitish colour.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir the milk into the egg cream.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat and stir at 75°C for 10 minutes. Here you should check the temperature with a thermometer so that the mass does not get too hot and the egg flocculates.
- Let the egg cream cool down and put it in a cool place.
- Stir the mascarpone into the ice cream mixture with a whisk.
- Strain the raisins and add the rum to the ice cream mixture.
The Ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes). Finally add the raisins.
Alternatively in freezer compartment Allow to freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total duration approx. 4 hours). When the mixture is firm, add the raisins.
Due to the yolk, the ice cream remains quite soft even in your home freezer. Before serving, you can still put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the flavour to develop better while eating.
Worth knowing and tips
- Due to the rum or wine content, which should not be underestimated, Malaga ice cream should be enjoyed with caution by children and pregnant women. Alternatively, the Raisins also in apple juice soaked in water. Do not add the apple juice to the ice cream, this would influence the taste too much.
- If you want to achieve the taste of rum without alcohol, you can Rum flavor should be used diluted in water. But I have to admit that I have not tried this variant myself.
- If, as you can see in the picture, you want to make a small ice-cream cake together, then just make a Sponge cake and bakes this in Muffin tins. I divided the dough and dyed it with food coloring. If you layer the whole thing, you can get funny effects.
Then I wish you good luck with this delicious ice cream. And if you have any comments, please leave a comment.