The special thing about the Malaga Ice are the ice creams alcohol pickled raisins. In the original recipe they are used in Malaga wine. This is a sweet dessert wine from Andalusia. Alternatively, you can put the raisins in a good rum. This is also the most widespread variant for ice cream parlours.
A alcohol-free version you can find further down at Tips.
Ingredients Malaga Ice Cream
- 400 g milk
- 75 g brown sugar or cane sugar*
- 3 egg yolks
- 1,5 TSP vanilla extract* or 1/4 vanilla pod*
- 1 pinch of salt
- 180 g mascarpone
- 50 g dark rum
- 70 g raisins*
Preparation Malaga ice cream
- Soak the raisins in the rum for at least 1 hour.
- Heat milk in a pot.
- Whisk the egg yolk and sugar well in another pot until the mixture turns a whitish colour.
- Add the vanilla extract or scraped vanilla pulp and stir the milk into the egg cream.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat and stir at 75°C for 10 minutes. Here you should check the temperature with a thermometer so that the mass does not get too hot and the egg flocculates.
- Let the egg cream cool down and put it in a cool place.
- Stir the mascarpone into the ice cream mixture with a whisk.
- Strain the raisins and add the rum to the ice cream mixture.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes). Finally add the raisins.
Alternatively in Freezer according to instructions freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours). When the mixture is almost ready, add the raisins.
Due to the yolk, the ice cream remains quite soft even in your home freezer. Before serving, you can still put it in the fridge for about 10 minutes to allow the flavour to develop better while eating.
Worth knowing and tips
- Due to the rum or wine content, which should not be underestimated, Malaga ice cream should be enjoyed with caution by children and pregnant women. Alternatively, the Raisins also in apple juice soaked in water. Do not add the apple juice to the ice cream, this would influence the taste too much.
- If you want to achieve the taste of rum without alcohol, you can Rum flavor should be used diluted in water. But I have to admit that I have not tried this variant myself.
- If, as you can see in the picture, you want to make a small ice-cream cake together, then just make a Sponge cake and bakes this in Muffin tins. I divided the dough and dyed it with food coloring. If you layer the whole thing, you can get funny effects.
Then I wish you good luck with this delicious ice cream. And if you have any comments, please leave a comment.
More delicious recipes with mascarpone are my Peach ice cream flash recipe and a wonderful Tiramisu ice cream. If you are interested in the Ice cream classic is, take a look at my recipes for Chocolate ice cream, Strawberry ice cream and Stracciatella an.
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to cover the basic costs without any disadvantage for you. Thank you very much for that!