In this recipe for tonka bean ice cream a special spice is used, which has found more and more followers in recent years. For many, the taste of tonka bean is reminiscent of vanilla, but with other components such as caramel and almonds. So it goes very well with milk ice cream. In the meantime, tonka beans can be found in the spice section of every major supermarket.
This recipe does not require an ice cream machine, because it is a parfait. The main ingredients are Egg yolk, sugar and cream.
The ice mass is frozen without stirring. The resulting fine crystalline structure is characteristic and so desired. The high proportion of eggs and cream ensures that the ice cream does not become too firm and only fine crystals are formed.
If you don't have an ice cream machine at home, try making parfait. It is really easy to prepare and after 6 hours you will have your ice cream ready.
Ingredients for tonka bean ice cream
for about 6 portions
- 3 egg yolks
- 75 g sugar
- 100 g milk
- 300 g cream
- Abrasion of about 1/4 of a tonka bean
- 300 g berries (e.g. raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, currants)
You can find step-by-step instructions for the preparation in the article on the Parfait production find.
- Place the eggs and sugar in a pot and mix well with a whisk
- Add the milk and slowly heat up to a maximum of 65°C while stirring.
- Check the temperature with the help of a thermometer and stir the mixture well with a whisk at 65°C for about 15 minutes.
- Add the tonka beans and stir.
- Let the egg mixture cool and in the meantime whip the cream until stiff.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the egg mixture into a cream, also at high speed.
- Fold the whipped cream into the egg cream.
- Add the fruits (e.g. raspberries and blueberries) to the mixture.
- Whip a baking tin or bowl with cling film.
- Pour the tonka bean ice cream mixture into the mould and let it freeze overnight or for at least 6 hours.
Before consumption the parfait should be about 20 minutes in the refrigerator to get the right temperature.
Then the Form briefly in warm water and drop the tonka bean ice cream on a plate. Remove the foil and decorate with toppings, sauces or fruits as desired.
- Is it a larger or very rigid shapethe wall should first be covered with Edible oil and only then insert the foil. Then the parfait can be overturned more easily.
- If you have fruit with a cavity like RaspberriesThey should be cut in half beforehand or, in the case of frozen berries, crumbled so that no air holes form in the parfait.
- Tonka beans are quite hard, as they are dried seeds. It is best to use a sharp grater similar to the one used for nutmeg.