Cashews taste sweetish-nutty and so it is not surprising that they are also ideal for processing as ice cream.
You can often find ice cream recipes that use cashews as the base for vegan ice cream flavors. I have to say that none of them have convinced me yet. If you love the cashew flavor and are not vegan, then try this recipe.
To make it clear once again, this is about not about a vegan ice cream, but about combining the cashew flavor with a creamy vanilla milk ice cream. I hope this sounds as good to you as it does to me 🙂 .
Granted the inherent flavor of the cashews is not very prominent, however, I find that the Cashew ice cream a special touch and creaminess by these delicious seeds.
Ingredients cashew ice cream
For 4 servings you need the following ingredients:
- 400 g milk
- 100 g cream
- 15 g sugar
- 45 g glucose
- 40 g dextrose (=grape sugar)
- 20 g skimmed milk powder
- 30 g cashew nuts (soak in hot water for 1 hour beforehand)
- 1/2 vanilla bean pulp
- 1 pinch locust bean gum
- 1 pinch of salt
Preparation cashew ice cream
- Soak cashews in hot water for 1 hour, then drain the water.
Soaking softens the seeds and makes them easier to puree in the next step. This results in the ice cream being finer. If you don't have that much time, then pour boiling water over the cashews and let them stand for at least about 10 minutes.
- Finely puree the cashews together with the milk and cream in a blender. Do not beat too long so that the fat of the cream does not settle.
- Pour the cashew cream and milk mixture into a saucepan. Add the remaining ingredients. Also the scraped out pulp and the vanilla pod itself.
- Heat, stirring, until just before boiling.
- Hold at this temperature for a few minutes. Meanwhile, continue to stir.
- Allow the finished ice cream mixture to cool and infuse in the refrigerator for a few hours so that the vanilla flavor becomes more intense. Alternatively, continue processing immediately.
- Before freezing, remove the vanilla pod and blend the ice cream mixture again.
The Ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternatively in freezer compartment Allow to freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total duration approx. 4 hours).
If the ice cream has been kept in the freezer for longer, it will become hard. Then let it thaw in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before eating.
Tips and trivia:
- If you want to, you can have a Caramel sauce prepare, which after cooling can be layered with the ice cream or folded in like a marble cake.
- Very good also do honey, maple syrup and Brittle of cashews or other nuts to make this delicious ice cream.
- Cashews are not strictly speaking nuts, but stone fruits. The same applies to almonds and pistachios.
- The extraction of cashews is not easy and is unfortunately sometimes accompanied by inhumane conditions or child labor. Therefore, please make sure that you buy fairly traded cashews such as for example from GEPA - as always no affiliate link. 😉 But there are of course various other sources of supply.