Carrot and orange popsicles: Make your own ice cream on a stick
Just in time for Easter, here is a carrot-orange ice cream recipe to make a very tasty ice cream on a stick yourself. For the sweetness add oranges and some maple syrup. The ginger gives the ice cream a special touch.
What are ice pops?
An ice pop is actually only the English term for popsicle. In this case a water- or milk-based liquid poured into moulds, with a Stem and frozen. With this type of ice no ice cream machine or any other intermediate step is necessary.
Therefore you can easily make this ice cream yourself and it is also very suitable for Production together with children. Only the waiting time until the ice cream is ready could be a bit long for some little sweet tooth. 😉
Ingredients carrot-orange ice cream
- 250 g carrots
- 12 g ginger (can also be omitted for children)
- 4 oranges (one untreated)
- 4 TBSP. Maple syrup*
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Peel the carrots and cut them into pieces.
- Rub the peel off an (untreated) orange.
- Cut off the peel of all oranges including the white skin. It is best to cut the oranges in half first and then cut off the peel together with the white skin on a cutting board. Then cut the orange into slices. The pips are very easy to spot.
- Put all prepared ingredients, maple syrup and lemon juice in a blender and puree finely.
- To obtain a finer ice cream, pass the mixture through a sieve. You can also skip this step if you don't mind the pieces in the ice cream.
- Pour the mixture into stick moulds or other containers (see tips) and freeze for at least 5 hours.
You can read below how I made the spherical ice pops with the yoghurt layer.
Tips for making popsicles and especially carrot-orange popsicles
- If you no stick ice forms or ice cube forms you can take any shape you want and move upwards. For example. Shot glasses made of plastic. These can also be used again and again, if you treat them with care. But there are also small glasses or e.g. rinsed out Yoghurt cup.
- To get the ice from the container, place it under hot water and then by means of Hand warmth continue heating until the ice flows out easily.
- As stems you can use different things depending on the size. For example Toothpicks for the ice cube moulds, but also normal Metal spoon can be put into larger moulds. However, when eating, you have to be careful that the ice cream slides away much faster than from a wooden stick. I always take the Plastic spoon I get at the ice cream parlor with my ice cream. I just think they're too good to throw away. Of course, they can be used as well.
- If you want the stem to be in the middle, just Rubber Rings fix it.
- For my Ice Pops I have the Egg holder from my refrigerator, since I have no use for it anyway. Maybe you have something like that in the closet at home? But you can also Silicone baking pans use.
- For the ice pops with Yoghurt layer just a small amount of the Frozen yoghurt ice cream or vegan frozen yogurt and freeze in layers. At the end glue two halves together with some ice cream, don't forget the stem in between and freeze again.
- The smaller the mould, the faster you get your finished ice cream. The round ice pops, for example, are ready in less than 3 hours.
More Recipes with ginger in ice are the Golden milk ice cream and that Cucumber ice cream with mint. Both are also vegan. You can find many more vegan recipes or Popsicle recipes on my blog.
Leave a Reply