Blueberry ice cream or blueberry ice cream impresses with its unmistakable deep purple color. The small Vitamin bombs are in season right now. But even outside the harvest season, you can find good alternatives in the frozen food section of the supermarket.
This recipe is a fruity milk icethat does without egg and is still creamy.
Ingredients blueberry ice cream
- 400 g milk
- 200 g cream
- 100 g cane sugar* or normal sugar
- 40 g Dextrose* (dextrose)
- 40 g Inulin*
- 25 g Skimmed milk powder*
- 10 g Glucose*
- 1 g Locust bean gum
- 1 g Guar gum
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 g blueberries
- optional: approx. 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preparation blueberry ice cream
- Heat all ingredients except the blueberries and lemon juice together in a saucepan, stirring until just before boiling.
- Hold at this temperature for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Allow the milk ice cream mixture to cool to lukewarm.
- Add the blueberries and blend well with a hand blender or stand mixer.
- If you want a very fine ice cream without pieces of fruit, pass the ice cream mixture through a sieve or Strainer*.
- Depending on the type of blueberry, add about 1 tablespoon lemon juice and mix well. It is best to approach carefully with the amount of lemon juice and taste again and again until the blueberry ice cream mixture is somewhat tart. Remember that it is normal for the unfrozen ice cream mixture to taste a little too sweet.
- As far as possible, leave to infuse in the refrigerator for 4 hours. Otherwise, process after cooling.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes, depending on the model. Switch on the mixer and pour in the blueberry ice cream mixture (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternative Ice in the freezer produce and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
If your freezer is very cold, the ice cream will harden over time. Then let it thaw in the fridge for about 30 minutes before eating.
Worth knowing and tips
- The intense blue colour of blueberries comes from the pigment myrtillin, which belongs to the Anthocyanins heard. These secondary plant compounds are said to have an anti-inflammatory effect, slow down the aging process and can also prevent cancer.
- Depending on the sweetness of the blueberries, you should add more or less of the Lemon juice Add. Be sure to add the lemon juice only after the ice cream has cooled to add. Otherwise, the milk curdles and the ice cream is then unfortunately no longer salvageable.
- With self-picked blueberries you have the maximum freshness guaranteed. Either you are lucky enough to be able to pick in your own garden or visit a berry plantation. During the season (approx. June to August) there are in each Supermarket Blueberries to buy. Also the fruits from the Freezer usually have a very good quality.
- Since blueberries hardly ripenyou should pay attention to it, fully ripe fruits to use. The color is then deep purple. Fruits with light purple or slightly greenish spots should not be used. However, picked blueberries can be kept only a few days and should be stored on a cool place must be kept.
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to cover the basic costs without any disadvantage for you. Thank you very much for that!