In the following I will introduce you to a very simple method of making ice cream without any equipment. You only need freezer bags and ice cubes.
Basic procedure for making ice cream in a bag
The procedure is simple and fast. You fill the cooled ice cream mass into a bag and puts it back into a larger bag with an ice-salt mixture. Then shakes you do the whole thing for a few minutes and the ice cream is ready.
- 1 litre freezer bag (e.g. ziplock bag)
- 3 litre freezer bag
- approx. 2 litres of ice cubes (e.g. crushed ice)
- 3 tablespoons salt
- optional: gloves
- Make the ice cream mixture according to the recipe and let it cool down.
- Then place the ice cream mixture in a 1-litre freezer bag and close it well. It is best to use a Ziplock bag and press the air out a little.
- Pour the ice cubes into a large freezer bag. Only so many that the small bag still has room and can be closed well. Add the salt. It is best if the ice cubes are already slightly thawed and an ice-salt-water mixture is formed.
- Now place the small bag with the ice cream mixture in the middle of the bag with the ice cubes and close the large bag well.
- Shake the whole structure vigorously for about 3 minutes until the mixture has set.
Tips for making ice cream in a bag
- The ice is not very solid and does not stay frozen for long. Therefore you should consume it immediately.
- To avoid freezing your fingers off when shaking, you can simply use gloves. Baking gloves also work well.
- You can try all kinds of ice cream in this way, but it works very well with sorbets like Strawberry, Raspberry or Mango.
Unfortunately, it must be said that the use of plastic bags and ice cubes is not exactly sustainable. So the production in freezer bags is certainly not a permanent solution. Above all, the ice cream is by far not as good as when it is produced in Ice cream machine or in the Freezer compartmentbecause not so much air is introduced and the ice crystals are not so fine. But to try and certainly also with children it is a funny thing.