Mangoes are the National fruit of India. But also in Germany this exotic fruit is appreciated and is available in every major supermarket throughout the year. This vegan mango sorbet suits any occasion and tastes especially friends of the Asian cuisine.
Ingredients mango sorbet
- 300 g mango pulp (equivalent to about a 500 g mango with core, s. Worth knowing)
- 100 g water
- 60 g lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- 60 g lauter sugar (= 30 g sugar and 30 g water, Production see below)
- 20 g Dextrose (glucose)*
- 40 g Glucose* (alternative: 15 g agave syrup)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Optional: some abrasion from the lime peel (only for organic limes)
Production of lump sugar
In equal parts Water and sugar briefly in the Simmer pot. Alternatively, you can also make lauter sugar in stock, as it is used for various types of sorbet. Simply fill into a bottle while still hot, store in a cool place and consume within approx. 2 weeks.
How to cut a mango?
Below, I'll show you step-by-step how to cut a fresh mango to get the pulp quickly and easily.
How to process a fresh mango
Total Time: 5 minutes
Determine the orientation of the core
The core is flat and quite broad. If you put the mango on a table, it will usually align itself so that the core is approximately parallel to the table top. In the picture the position of the core is marked with a blue line.
Take a sharp knife and cut off the upper and lower half
With the knife you cut the flesh just above and below the pit to create three parts: two halves of the flesh and the pit with a rim. If you hit the pit, move the knife away a little or put it back a little further up.
Cut the flesh halves into a cross
Place the two halves on a chopping board with the bowl facing down and cut them crosswise. Make sure to cut deep enough so that the cut reaches the bowl. Do not cut too deep so that the shell remains whole.
Turn the bowl inside out
Now take one half in your hand so that the thumbs are on the edge and the remaining fingers are on the bowl. With a little pressure on the side of the bowl, you can easily turn the half upside down so that the cubes face outwards. Now the whole thing remotely reminds of a hedgehog.
Remove the flesh from the skin
When the mango is ripe, the pulp cubes come off the skin very easily by peeling the cubes with your fingers. Alternatively, you can help a little with a sharp knife.
Trigger core further
Ideally, there should not be much flesh left on the pit. The skin can be removed with a sharp knife once around the edge and the remaining flesh cut off. However, the flesh directly at the pit is usually somewhat more fibrous. It is best to eat these pieces directly.
Preparation of the mango sorbet
- Trigger the mango as described above and puree in the blender or pour the purchased mango puree into the blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well again for a few minutes.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternatively in Freezer according to instructions freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time approx. 4 hours). For this variation, briefly put the mango sorbet in the blender again before serving. However, do not blend at too high a speed or the blender will get too warm.
Things to know about mangos
- Ripe mangoes can be recognized by the following characteristics: a fruity-sweetish Fragrancewho Bowl should yield slightly to pressure, there are found small black spots on the shell
- Mangoes should not in the refrigerator be stored so that they can still ripen. In addition, they lose significant flavor when refrigerated.
- You can use for this recipe either a fresh mango or mango puree use from the can. This can be bought, for example, in the Asia store. If you want to resort to a can, then you should make sure that the puree is not additionally sweetened and is of good quality.
I hope this guide was helpful for you. Feel free to leave a comment if you need any help, have any remarks or if you just liked it.
If you would like to try more varieties, I also have many more beautiful Sorbet recipes. Try my Strawberry sorbet, Raspberry sorbet or Apple sorbet. My recipe for a creamy mango ice cream with milk I can also only recommend.
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to cover the basic costs without any disadvantage for you. Thank you very much for that!