Mangoes are the National fruit of India. But also in Germany this exotic fruit is appreciated and is available in every major supermarket throughout the year. This vegan mango sorbet suits any occasion and tastes especially friends of the Asian cuisine.
Ingredients mango sorbet
- 300 g mango pulp (equivalent to about a 500 g mango with core, s. Worth knowing)
- 100 g water
- 60 g lime juice (approx. 2 limes)
- 60 g lauter sugar (= 30 g sugar and 30 g water, Production see below)
- 20 g Dextrose (glucose)*
- 40 g Glucose* (alternative: 15 g agave syrup)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Optional: some abrasion from the lime peel (only for organic limes)
Production of refining sugar
In equal parts Water and sugar briefly in the Simmer pot. Alternatively, you can also make lauter sugar in stock, as it is used for various types of sorbet. Simply fill into a bottle while still hot, store in a cool place and consume within approx. 2 weeks.
How to cut a mango?
Below, I'll show you step-by-step how to cut a fresh mango to get the pulp quickly and easily.
How to process a fresh mango
Total Time: 5 minutes
Determine the orientation of the core
The core is flat and quite broad. If you put the mango on a table, it will usually align itself so that the core is approximately parallel to the table top. In the picture the position of the core is marked with a blue line.
Take a sharp knife and cut off the upper and lower half
With the knife, cut off the flesh a little above and below the core, so that there are three parts: two halves of flesh and the core with a rim. If you hit the core, move the knife slightly away or start again a little further up.
Separate the flesh halves crosswise
Place the two halves, skin side down, on a cutting board and make a cross-shaped cut. Make sure to cut deep enough so that the cut goes all the way to the peel. Don't cut too deep, though, so that the peel still remains whole.
Turn the bowl inside out
Now take one half in your hand so that your thumbs are on the edge and the rest of your fingers are on the shell. With a little pressure on the side of the shell, you can easily turn the half upside down so that the cubes point outward. Now the whole thing is remotely reminiscent of a hedgehog.
Separate the flesh from the skin
When the mango is ripe, the flesh cubes can be easily removed from the peel by pulling the cubes off with your fingers. Alternatively, you can help a little with a sharp knife.
Trigger core further
Ideally, there should not be much pulp left at the core. The skin can be removed once all around with a sharp knife and the remaining flesh cut off. However, the flesh directly at the core is usually a bit more fibrous. It is best to eat these pieces directly.
Preparation of the mango sorbet
- Remove the mango as described above and puree in a blender or pour the purchased mango puree into the blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well again for a few minutes.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes, depending on the model. Switch on the mixer and pour in the ice cream mixture (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternatively in Freezer according to instructions freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time approx. 4 hours). For this variation, briefly put the mango sorbet in the blender again before serving. However, do not blend on too high a speed or the blender will get too warm.
Things to know about mangos
- Ripe mangoes can be recognized by the following characteristics: a fruity-sweetish Fragrancewho Bowl should yield slightly to pressure, there are found small black spots on the shell
- Mangoes should not in the refrigerator be stored so that they can still ripen. In addition, they lose significant flavor when refrigerated.
- You can use for this recipe either a fresh mango or mango puree use from the can. This can be bought, for example, in the Asia store. If you want to resort to a can, then you should make sure that the puree is not additionally sweetened and is of good quality.
I hope this tutorial was helpful for you. Feel free to leave a comment if you need more help, have any comments, or if you just liked it.
My recipe for a creamy mango ice cream with milk I can also only recommend.