Pine nuts are not exactly cheap, but it is worth trying this recipe. All the people who have tested it so far have been completely thrilled.
ingredients Pine nut ice cream
- 400 g milk
- 160 g cream
- 2 strips orange peel (untreated)
- 3 coffee beans
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 75 g cane sugar* or normal sugar
- 60 g honey (eg. Acacia honey*)
- 160 g Pine nuts*
Preparation Pine nut ice cream
- Milk, cream, orange peel, coffee beans, salt, egg yolk and white sugar are put in a pot and mixed
- Heat for 10 minutes at approx. 75-80°C while stirring. It is best to use a thermometer.
- Cool the ice cream mixture to about 40°C and stir in the honey.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a pan without fat. As soon as the pine nuts crackle slightly in the pan and it starts to smell like nuts, you should stir well and turn down the heat. When the nuts show a light browning they are ready.
- Blend ice cream mixture with two-thirds of the toasted pine nuts in a blender until finely pureed and continue to chill in the refrigerator.
- Roughly chop the rest of the pine nuts and add them to the pan with a little sugar. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, melt the sugar. Let the pine nut brittle cool on a plate. A detailed Instructions for caramelizing nuts you can find in this post.
When the ice mass is cold enough, in a ice cream machine solidify. Add the caramelized pine nuts shortly before the end.
If you want to use the Ice mass in Freezer freeze leaves, every 30 minutes (for about 4 h) must be well smashed with a hand mixer the resulting ice crystals. The pine nuts are added only after the last mixing.
- The Honey is added only after the ice cream mass has cooled, otherwise the valuable ingredients will be destroyed. For this recipe it is best to use a light honey, such as. Acacia honey*.
- Pine nuts* belong to the most expensive nuts. This is because it is a lengthy and labor-intensive process until you have enough cores together. This also requires a lot of manual labor.
- have pine nuts season all year round. The best are from Tuscany.