For my nougat ice cream dark nougat is used. Nougat is the ingenious combination of roasted and ground nuts, sugar and cocoa, and as ice cream, of course, I prefer it again. 😉
Dark nougat is also Gianduia or Gianduja and was invented when very high customs duties were imposed on cocoa in Napoleon's time. To stretch the chocolate, nuts were added to it. So actually a stopgap solution, which produced a wonderful delicacy.
This ice cream classic comes ovuleless and can of course also without ice cream machine can be produced. But I would recommend using an ice machine to Creaminess to increase. If you're still wavering over whether or not you should buy an ice cream machinecheck out my article on it.
Ingredients Nougat ice cream (Gianduia ice cream)
- 300 g milk
- 100 g cream
- 80 g Nougat* (dark, s. Tips)
- 10 g cane sugar*
- 10 g Dark chocolate coating*
- 28 g Glucose*
- 24 g Dextrose*
- 4 g Inulin*
- 1 g Locust bean gum*
- 1 pinch of salt
optional topping: 30 g chopped chocolate* (70% cocoa) and 50 g chopped Hazelnuts*
Preparation Nougat ice cream (Gianduia ice cream)
- Heat all the ingredients (except those for the optional topping) together in a pot while stirring to about 60°C.
- Keep at 60°C for about 10 minutes while stirring.
- Allow the ice cream to cool down a little and if possible let it rest in the refrigerator overnight. Otherwise, simply continue processing after cooling.
- Lightly roast chopped hazelnuts in a pan without fat while stirring.
- Turn off the cooker and remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour chopped chocolate or chocolate drops over nuts and mix well until all nuts are coated in chocolate.
- Place the chocolate-coated nuts on a baking parchment or plate and allow to cool.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Just before the ice mass is ready, chocolate-coated nuts can be put under the ice cream. Alternatively, the nuts can be sprinkled on the ice cream before serving. Or as I did it: both together. 🙂
Alternatively the Ice cream making in the freezer Allow to freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total duration approx. 4 hours). When the ice cream is ready, the chocolate-coated nuts can be stirred in.
Worth knowing and tips on nougat
- Dark nougat (Gianduia) consists of hazelnuts and cocoa. White nougat is produced without cocoa and is not related to the dark nougat. It is produced differently depending on the place of origin. Examples of white nougat are Turkish honey or torrone. White nougat is therefore not suitable for making this ice cream.
- When buying dark nougat you should be aware of the Quality pay attention. I mostly use the dark nougat from Vivani*. There should be At least 25% Hazelnuts must be included. Somewhat difficult to control is the quality of the hazelnuts. Here I would look for famous producers sit. The Grinding degree should be as fine as possible. You can test this yourself by letting a piece of the nougat melt in your mouth. If coarse grains remain, this is not a good sign. Lecithin has no place in chocolate or nougat. It is best to keep your hands off such products.
- You can Make your own nougat. However, it is much finer in consistency when you buy it. 😉
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out my other Ice cream classic on such as Bacio ice cream from Ferrero kisses or Stracciatella ice cream without egg. You taste but certainly also my creamy Bee sting ice cream with caramelized almonds, a creamy pine nut ice cream with crunch effect or a Marzipan ice cream with chocolate chips.
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to cover the basic costs without any disadvantage for you. Thank you very much for that!