Poppy seed dessert: intense poppy seed flavour in ice cream
I love poppy seeds. Be it on meadows as a blossom or the seeds in cakes, yeast dumplings or on the rolls. If you feel the same way, I have a very nice Poppy seed ice cream recipethat tastes very intensely of poppy seeds. A poppy seed dessert to fool with.
The small grains also provide a crunch effect in the ice cream and harmonize very nicely with the vanilla-milk flavor.
You can make this recipe in the ice cream maker or also in the Freezer manufacture.
Poppy seed ice cream ingredients
- 300 g milk
- 100 g cream
- 20 g cane sugar*
- 1/2 vanilla pod*
- 30 g Dextrose*
- 40 g Glucose*
- 10 g Inulin*
- 1 g Locust bean gum*
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 g ground poppy* (preferably gray poppy)
optional: 2 tablespoons of rum
- Heat all ingredients except the rum in a pot while stirring until just before boiling.
- Keep at about 60°C for about 10 minutes while stirring.
- Allow the ice cream mixture to cool slightly and stir in the rum (optional).
- Leave in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight if possible.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternative the ice in the freezer freeze leave and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
Poppy seed dessert tips
- As for the baking should be Poppy seed previously ground be. Either buy ground poppy seeds right away or grind them yourself if you have a Mill* have. The essential oils are better released by grinding. However, you should always grind only as much poppy seed as you need. If necessary can Excess poppy also frozen will be.
- There are blue, gray and white poppies. For this recipe you should Gray poppy use, since this is due to its Mild taste best suited for desserts. The blue poppy, on the other hand, is stronger and should rather be used for spicy cuisine. The rare and noble white poppy is often used for Indian recipes or partly for desserts.
Milk ice cream varieties with Crisp effect you can also find at my Bee sting ice cream, classic walnut ice cream, Chocolate nut ice cream or Stracciatella ice cream.
Should you Rum in ice like, then try my Recipe for rum raisin ice cream off.
thanks for the great ice cream recipes. Are they already balanced so that they remain malleable in the tk ler?
the ice cream recipes are mostly balanced. But I have also approached and learned over time. That is, older recipes may not yet be ideally balanced. I am constantly working on optimizing them and am of course happy if you write improvements to the recipe in the comments.
The softness in the home freezer always depends. The one sticking point is how cold your freezer really is. Some devices are much colder than expected and then the ice cream is correspondingly harder.
The other thing is whether you bought the right ingredients. Especially with glucose, it's easy to make a mistake, since many manufacturers don't specify what kind of glucose it is. Therefore, I have meanwhile written a contribution to the ingredients so you know which ones I use.
I wish you happy and successful ice cream making.
Can you also use the recipe for popsicle molds?
I myself have not yet tried the recipe in popsicle molds. I think by the poppy seed it will probably be difficult to solve from the mold or break apart. With silicone molds I could imagine that it could still work best. But if you have rigid molds, I would be more skeptical. I would also guess that without first freezing the ice cream mixture (in the ice cream maker or with regular whipping in the freezer), it won't be creamy. I would definitely do that before filling the ramekins. Unfortunately, it's not a typical popsicle recipe that you can just fill and freeze. If you try it anyway, I'd be very interested to hear how you did it and if it worked 🙂 .