I love poppy seeds. Be it on meadows as a blossom or the seeds in cakes, yeast dumplings or on the rolls. If you feel the same way, I have a very nice Poppy seed ice cream recipethat tastes very intensely of poppy seeds. A poppy seed dessert to fool with.
The small grains also provide a crunch effect in the ice cream and harmonize very nicely with the vanilla-milk flavor.
You can make this recipe in the ice cream maker or also in the Freezer manufacture.
Poppy seed ice cream ingredients
- 300 g milk
- 100 g cream
- 20 g cane sugar*
- 1/2 vanilla pod*
- 30 g Dextrose*
- 40 g Glucose*
- 10 g Inulin*
- 1 g Locust bean gum*
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 g ground poppy* (preferably gray poppy)
optional: 2 tablespoons of rum
- Heat all ingredients except the rum in a pot while stirring until just before boiling.
- Keep at about 60°C for about 10 minutes while stirring.
- Allow the ice cream mixture to cool slightly and stir in the rum (optional).
- Leave in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight if possible.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternative the ice in the freezer freeze leave and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
Poppy seed dessert tips
- As for the baking should be Poppy seed previously ground be. Either buy ground poppy seeds right away or grind them yourself if you have a Mill* have. The essential oils are better released by grinding. However, you should always grind only as much poppy seed as you need. If necessary can Excess poppy also frozen will be.
- There are blue, gray and white poppies. For this recipe you should Gray poppy use, since this is due to its Mild taste best suited for desserts. The blue poppy, on the other hand, is stronger and should rather be used for spicy cuisine. The rare and noble white poppy is often used for Indian recipes or partly for desserts.
Should you Rum in ice like, then try my Recipe for rum raisin ice cream off.
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to cover the basic costs without any disadvantage for you. Thank you very much for that!