I love poppy seeds. Be it on meadows as a blossom or the seeds in cakes, yeast dumplings or on the rolls. If you feel the same way, I have a very nice Poppy seed ice cream recipethat tastes very intensely of poppy seeds. A poppy seed dessert to fool with.
You can make this recipe in the ice cream machine or in the freezer.
Poppy seed ice cream ingredients
- 300 g milk
- 100 g cream
- 20 g brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod
- 30 g dextrose
- 40 g glucose
- 10 g inulin
- 1 g locust bean gum
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 g ground poppy seeds
optional: 2 tablespoons of rum
- Heat all ingredients except the rum in a pot while stirring until just before boiling.
- Keep at about 60°C for about 10 minutes while stirring.
- Let the ice cream mixture cool down a little and stir in the rum.
- Leave in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight if possible.
The Ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternatively in freezer compartment Allow to freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total duration approx. 4 hours).
Tips for poppy seed dessert
- As for baking, the poppy seeds should be ground beforehand. Either you buy ground poppy seeds right away or you grind them yourself if you have a mill. Grinding releases the essential oils better. However, you should only grind as much poppy seed as you need. If necessary, excess poppy seeds can be frozen.
- There are blue, grey and white poppies. You should use grey poppy seeds for this recipe, as their mild taste makes them best suited for desserts. The blue poppy, on the other hand, is stronger and should rather be used for spicy dishes. The rare and noble white poppy is often used for Indian recipes or sometimes for desserts.