An autumn dessert is just right for this time of year. There are still nice warm days and now and then the first rainy days sneak in. But even if it gets colder, that can't stop us from enjoying our beloved ice cream!
In keeping with autumn, I have conjured up a great ice cream inspiration for you: Vanilla Ice Cream garnished with caramelized pumpkin slices and pumpkin seeds, the whole rounded off with a splash of Pumpkin seed oil.
At Austria I got to know and love the combination of pumpkin seed oil and vanilla ice cream for the first time. Although I must admit that I prefer to use the oil a little more sparingly than I have experienced so far. But the love of pumpkin seed oil there just knows no bounds 😉
At first it sounds unusual, but the combination of the nutty pumpkin seed oil and the creamy vanilla ice cream will certainly convince you too. And it is in any case a real highlight for any menu.
Either you use homemade vanilla ice cream or purchased. When making your own you have the choice between the classic variant and the vegan, sugar-reduced variant. Very well also fits my Cashew ice cream with vanilla to this autumnal dessert.
Ingredients vanilla ice cream with pumpkin
For 4 servings
Preparation time: approx. 15 minutes or approx. 3 h (for homemade ice cream)
- 500 g vanilla ice cream (homemade or bought)
- 1/2 small Hokkaido pumpkin
- 30 g pumpkin seeds
(e.g. Senger's 2 kg Styrian pumpkin seeds pumpkin seed raw food quality natural untreated vegan peeled (2 KG from € 21.90 (€ 10.95 / kg))*
- Pumpkin seed oil
(e.g. Senger's Styrian pumpkin seed oil g.g.A. 100% pure original seed oil from Styria Premium (1000 ml from € 27.90 (€ 27.90 / l))*
- 3 tablespoons sugar
(e.g. health food store raw cane sugar organic from € 4.99 (€ 4.99 / kg))*
- some butter
- 1 pinch of salt
Step by step guide to the perfect autumn sundae
Step 1 (optional): Preparation homemade vanilla ice cream
- Prepare the Vanilla ice cream according to the instructions to.
- It has the best consistency after about 2 h in the freezer.
Step 2: Preparation of the caramelized pumpkin slices
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. For Hokkaido you do not need to remove the peel, but wash it well.
- Cut the pumpkin into thin slices (about 2 mm) or make very thin slices with a peeler (e.g. 2 pieces peeler from € 5.99 )* .
- Melt some butter in a frying pan.
- Fry the squash slices in the pan for about 5 minutes (depending on thickness) until they are slightly soft and golden.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the top and stir to caramelize in the pan.
- Let the slices cool on a plate.
Step 3: Caramelized pumpkin seeds
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar in a pan without fat and let the sugar melt.
- Then add the pumpkin seeds and mix everything well so that the pumpkin seeds are coated with the sugar.
- Let the pumpkin seeds cool on a plate.
Step 4: Composition of the autumn dessert
- Start with a layer of caramelized pumpkin slices in a nice mug or bowl.
- Add two to three scoops of vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle everything generously with caramelized pumpkin seeds and add a few slices of pumpkin as a splash of color on top of the ice cream.
- Finally, drizzle some pumpkin seed oil over the top for a nutty flavor note and an interesting green glow.
Your autumnal sundae is ready to enjoy! Enjoy it and write in the comments how you liked the combination of pumpkin seed oil and vanilla ice cream.