Stracciatella ice cream is one of the most popular ice cream classics. It is a milk ice cream made with Chocolate chips is interspersed. "Stracciare" is Italian and means "to shred" or "to tear".
Supposedly, this ice cream is inspired by the stracciatella soup popular in Italy. In this, an egg mixture is stirred into hot meat broth and "shreds" result. But I think I'll stick with the ice cream of the same name.
If you are looking for a vegan variant for stracciatella ice cream with oat milk are, I also have a great recipe for you.
Ingredients Stracciatella ice cream
- 300 g milk
- 200 g cream
- 85 g Raw cane sugar*
- 20 g Dextrose*
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 scraped vanilla pod* (alternatively: 1 Msp vanilla pulp)
- 2 g Locust bean gum*
- 25 g chocolate* (70% Cocoa)
Preparation stracciatella ice cream
- Heat the cream, milk, sugar, dextrose and salt together in a saucepan, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the scraped vanilla pod (i.e. without the pith, e.g. from Vanilla sugar batch). If you don't have any on hand, just use a knife tip of the vanilla pulp.
- Continue to heat, stirring, until just before boiling.
- Stir in the carob bean gum. Here it is best to work with a whisk.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile the chocolate with a sharp knife chop up small.
Alternatively you can use the Melt chocolate also. This should be done about 20 minutes before the ice cream is ready so that the chocolate is only hand-warm before it comes into contact with the ice cream.
- The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes, depending on the model. Switch on the mixer and pour in the ice cream mixture (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternatively in Freezer according to instructions freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
- Just before the ice cream mixture is ready, add the chocolate chips or pour the melted chocolate into the ice cream in a thin stream. If using an ice cream maker, simply keep the mixer running. For the freezer version, add the chocolate in layers and stir.
Worth knowing and tips
- There is the most different variants for this ice cream variety. Originally, the ice cream did not contain vanilla. But many really like the light vanilla flavor in stracciatella ice cream. I am no exception.
- For this recipe, for example, you can use the vanilla beans that you took to make vanilla sugar (about 1 scraped vanilla bean to 200 g of sugar). The vanilla flavor should not be too dominant in this ice cream, so use only the scraped pod.
- Also, you can choose different Chocolate variants use. Personally, in my stracciatella ice cream I like best Dark chocolate with 70% cocoa* . But you can just as well take milk chocolate or much more tart chocolate.
- The chocolate should not too early be added. The ice cream then still tastes delicious, but the ice cream then becomes rather brownish, as the chocolate partially combines with the cream.