Stracciatella ice cream: ingenious combination of milk and chocolate
Stracciatella ice cream is one of the most popular ice cream classics. It is a milk ice cream made with Chocolate chips is interspersed. "Stracciare" is Italian and means "to shred" or "to tear".
Supposedly, this ice cream is inspired by the stracciatella soup popular in Italy. In this, an egg mixture is stirred into hot meat broth and "shreds" result. But I think I'll stick with the ice cream of the same name.
If you are looking for a vegan variant for stracciatella ice cream with oat milk are, I also have a great recipe for you.
Ingredients Stracciatella ice cream
- 300 g milk
- 200 g cream
- 85 g Raw cane sugar*
- 20 g Dextrose*
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 scraped vanilla pod* (alternatively: 1 Msp vanilla pulp)
- 2 g Locust bean gum*
- 25 g chocolate* (70% Cocoa)
Preparation stracciatella ice cream
- Heat the cream, milk, sugar, dextrose and salt together in a saucepan while stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the scraped vanilla pod (i.e. without the pith, e.g. from Vanilla sugar batch). If you don't have any on hand, just use a knife tip of the vanilla pulp.
- Continue to heat while stirring until just before boiling.
- Stir in the carob gum. It is best to work with an egg whisk here.
- Chill the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile the chocolate with a sharp knife chop up small.
Alternatively you can use the Melt chocolate also. This should be done about 20 minutes before the ice cream is ready so that the chocolate is only hand-warm before it comes into contact with the ice cream.
- The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes depending on the model. Switch on the stirrer and add the ice cream mass (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternatively in Freezer according to instructions Allow to freeze and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total duration approx. 4 hours).
- Just before the ice cream mixture is ready, add the chocolate pieces or pour the melted chocolate into the ice cream in a thin stream. If you have an ice cream machine, just keep the stirrer running. With the freezer version, add the chocolate in layers and stir.
Worth knowing and tips
- There is the most different variants for this ice cream variety. Originally, the ice cream did not contain vanilla. But many really like the light vanilla flavor in stracciatella ice cream. I am no exception.
- For this recipe, for example, you can use the vanilla beans that you took to make vanilla sugar (about 1 scraped vanilla bean to 200 g of sugar). The vanilla flavor should not be too dominant in this ice cream, so use only the scraped pod.
- Also, you can choose different Chocolate variants use. Personally, in my stracciatella ice cream I like best Dark chocolate with 70% cocoa* . But you can just as well take milk chocolate or much more tart chocolate.
- The chocolate should not too soon be added. The ice cream then still tastes delicious, but the ice cream then becomes rather brownish, as the chocolate partially combines with the cream.
More Recipes for ice cream classics you can also find on my blog. How about a sundae from Walnut ice cream, Bacio ice cream and stracciatella ice cream?
*With the affiliate links in this post you support my blog to continue the basic costs without you having a disadvantage. Thank you very much for that!
I love your ice cream recipes 😍 thanks for posting. But is there a mistake in the amount of jbkm here if necessary? Otherwise it is 1 to 2 g and here 2 tsp. It also tastes very mealy 🤷♀️
i'm totally glad you like my ice cream recipes 😀
And thank you for the tip about the locust bean gum. You are absolutely right. 2 tsp are much too much. 😮 There has crept in an error and I have corrected it.
Have a great summer with lots of ice cream!