This watermelon ice cream is due to the used Buttermilk a very fresh and light ice cream.
The intensity stands and falls with the Watermelon flavor. Unfortunately, you can't tell for sure from the outside how good the melon actually tastes. At the end you will find a few TipsWhat things you should look for when buying a watermelon so that your ice cream will be as good as possible.
Ingredients watermelon ice cream
- 500 g watermelon
- 400 g buttermilk
- 80 g sugar or cane sugar*
- 40 g Dextrose*
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone
- 1 pinch of salt
Preparation watermelon ice cream
- Heat the buttermilk together with the sugar, dextrose, lemon juice, mascarpone and salt in a saucepan and stir. Do not boil, but heat only until a homogeneous mass is formed and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Allow the milk mixture to cool.
- Peel the melon and cut into pieces. Then puree so that the seeds are no longer visible.
- Add the melon puree to the milk mixture and mix well again, e.g. with a blender.
The ice cream machine prepare and pre-cool for a few minutes, depending on the model. Switch on the mixer and pour in the ice cream mixture (duration approx. 30 minutes).
Alternative Ice in the freezer produce and mix well every 30 minutes with a hand mixer (total time about 4 hours).
The watermelon ice cream becomes quite hard when stored in the freezer. Therefore, let it thaw in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before eating.
How can I tell if a watermelon is ripe?
Melons do not ripen after harvest more substantially after. Therefore, it is even more important to get a ripe specimen right at the time of purchase.
- As a general rule smaller specimens usually taste more intense.
- Maturity is essentially recognized by the Sound. When you knock against the shell should be a deep and full sound sound. Then there is a lot of water in the melon, which it has accumulated during the ripening period.
- In addition, a ripe melon at the point of application has a yellow spot on.
- If a Stem is present, this should dried up be. Then the melon was on the plant until the end.
Unfortunately, these points are still No guarantee for the melon to also taste intense. But at least these tips are a good condition to choose the best possible specimen from the range.
If you not intense taste melon you have caught, you can with a little Watermelon syrup* to help (about 1 tablespoon). This syrup is needed for cocktails, for example, and can be found in the syrup section of any major supermarket or online store. However, one must be aware that the ingredients are mostly not of natural origin and may also contain other artificial additives.
Personally, I prefer to stick with the natural flavor. Even if the watermelon ice cream may not taste quite as intense. It is refreshing in any case.
Other Ice cream recipes with mascarpone are for example my Tiramisu dessert from the freezer, a quickly prepared peach ice cream or delicious rum raisin ice cream (Malaga ice cream). Lots of other Fruit ice cream varieties can also be found on my blog.
With watermelon you can also very well homemade iced tea aromatize.